Monday, December 3, 2007

# 21 - Podcasting

I already had an understanding of what a podcast is and have accessed them on many occasions, however, I did have some difficulties with Podcast.net where I was unable to hear any of the podcasts I searched for.

I located a book review and listened to it, then got adventurous and went 774 ABC Melbourne and went to their podcasts, selected Health and lifestyle and loaded the RSS feed into my bloglines account, which then enabled me to hear the podcasts of the last few weeks. A very simple way to ensure you don't miss out on a regular segment you listen to on the radio.

In relation to public libraries, podcasts are a way to expand the services we offer through the virtual library to the time-poor, transport-poor and socially isolate (including aged) elements of our community. I can just imagine a parent and child listening to a podcast of a storytime before bedtime or an individual/group in an aged care facility listening to an author/book talk.

This web 2.0 tool could easily be introduced to websites - in fact some libraries have already done so.

No comments: